Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Day Eight: Voting Day

Day 8: Imagine the first time your ancestor got to vote. Write a letter from them to a relative detailing their 
impressions. Where was their polling place? What was the process like? What about the other people in line?



Tuesday, November 2, 1920

Dear Grandmother Nannie,

I hope this letter finds you well and that you all are enjoying the same lovely weather there in Fairfield County as we are here in Greenville. It seems so long ago that we lived there, out in the beautiful country. What a difference to live in a city! It's not a big city, to be sure, but there sure are a lot more people. 

Guess what, Grandmother? I just returned from voting for the very first time, and I must say, it was exciting! Can you believe the very year I turned 21 was also the year that women got the right to vote? I feel very important, for this is a VERY big thing. I might even venture to call it "historic." Helen and I went down to City Hall with Mama so we could be together to cast our votes. There were newspapermen there, covering the "big story." There was even a photographer, but I wasn't one of his subjects, so I guess my "triumph" will just have to be recorded in this letter rather than in the Greenville News. The lines were long, because there were many woman there...although I don't think every woman in the area will take the opportunity to vote. I think there are still some whose husbands and fathers don't think it's a good idea. I hope that will change.

I stood in line with many of our neighbors and had a lovely chat as we waited to cast our ballots. It actually didn't take that long. We gave our names and addresses, filled out our ballots, folded them, and put them in a locked box. That was it! Everyone was very pleased with the time it took. The whole thing was very well organized. In chatting with my friends while we were waiting, I fount that that all were excited as I about this election, as there are so many interesting characters running. I voted for the Harding-Coolidge ticket, although there is something about that Mr. Harding that seems off to me. I hope he is a man of good moral character, but I don't know... It wasn't much of a choice. I didn't like a lot of what Cox had to say, and as far as Mr. Roosevelt goes, "no thank you."

Grandmother, I hope you voted, too. I know that at age 86 it might have seems like a great effort, but you have seen so much in your lifetime. Losing Grandfather and being a young widow meant that you had to do a lot of things a man would have had to do. You, of all people, deserve this right.

Your loving granddaughter, Elizabeth




From Newspapers.com (One of my favorite websites!)

No comments:

Post a Comment