Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Carroll Petrie: The Joy Of Childhood Friendship

If you have been reading this blog for awhile, you will know that I am an amateur genealogist. Family and history have long been two favorite topics of mine, so genealogy is the perfect hobby for me. It seems to have an never-ending "to-do list" and one of the things on my list for this summer is cataloging and storing mementos of my parents and grandparents.

I came across Miss Betty's childhood autograph book not too long ago. Remember those? They were even popular when I was a child! Although I don't have my own book any longer, I do have my mother's and I believe there is one of my grandmother's or great-grandmother's floating around somewhere as well. I have a lot of papers to go through...

Image courtesy NY Times
I thought you, my readers, might be interested in this particular page from Miss Betty's 6th grade book, signed by one of her dearest friends from school in Greenville, SC and college (Converse College), Carroll McDaniel... who is known to most people in 2016 as the late Carroll Petrie. I never met Mrs. Petrie personally, but I believe she had a very interesting life, and was married to some fascinating men. She certainly blessed many people with her generosity, as you will see at the link above.


6th grade, The Donaldson School, Greenville, SC
Don't you love how she abbreviated "vaccinated"??

1 comment:

  1. I loved Mrs. Petrie. Such an elegant lady. My, my. You KNOW I love those Miss Betty stories. I could listen to them for days.

    ReplyDelete