Saturday, October 17, 2015

Then You Came And Sat Beside Me...

A couple of weeks ago, I happened to come upon Antenna-TV's morning broadcast of the classic television series, Father Knows Best. The episode was called The $500 Letter, and its plot centered around the family receiving a letter with a cashier's check for $500 (probably worth about $3500 today).  No one knew for whom it was meant...and the entire show was each character's self-examination, to determine if he or she was the "winner."

I won't give the finish away, in case you want to see it yourself. (You can on Hulu!)  But, in a flashback, the gentleman who wrote the letter says this...

Google images
"I sat alone…Disillusioned, bitter and shunned by everyone. Then you came and sat beside me.  You talked to me. You smiled at me. You said, 'When we’re in trouble we have to have faith. Things will come out right.'

Then you gave me something. Just a small stick of gum, but to me it was a symbol of friendship. You will never know what it meant to me, at that moment of my life, to have a friend."

That is an exact quote. I know, because I went back to Hulu to watch it again, so I could write down precisely what he said.  It moved me that much.

Why? Well...I hope and pray that more than anything else I do in this life that I will be (or hopefully have been) the kind of person who sits down next to someone who is alone and makes them know they aren't.

I hope I have shared my love.  More importantly, I hope I have shared God's love. The risen Lord told us that was what it was all about....what He expected us to do.  I don't want to be "practiced" about it. I certainly don't want to do it to check it off a list of good deeds.  I want the Holy Spirit to dwell in me so deeply that I disappear and His love shines through.

That's what I wanted to tell you today.

It's not classic. It's not preppy.

I suppose you could say it is about "gracious living"...because it is Grace that makes it a possibility.

This weekend...and every day after that...let's go out and share that love and grace.  #betheblessing

Have a wonderful weekend and I will see you Monday!

Liz

2 comments:

  1. You're a special person, Liz. No worries. I KNOW you've been 'that' person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathie... I hope so! I know YOU have been that person for sure!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete