Thursday, June 19, 2014

Summer Project

For the past four summers I have sworn up and down that I was going to "get those photos in albums."  The ones I've done are fabulous...very simple and elegant, if I do say so myself...but I have a LOT of photos!

I'm not complaining.  My collection goes back to the mid-late 1800's, because I have inherited a huge collection from a variety of ancestors.  All of those have to be identified, catalogued, scanned, numbered and entered into my genealogy program as well (the amazing Family Tree Maker and Ancestry.com). Then there are the numerous family photos of the past twenty-five years of marriage, children and family vacations.  My goal is to sort these per child and also by the narrative/story of what was happening.  Also, I am trying to assemble the books so that when I go to glory (many, many years from now I hope), my girls will each have a set of books.

Christmas party, December 2013

Banquet ends off the table for every day family use

New Year's Eve Dinner, 2013

Genealogy sorting room


I had my boxes of papers and photos in my home office, which is a nice large space, but also an interior room with no windows.  I knew this project would probably take all summer, and I needed to be in the light.  So, I've brought everything into the dining room.

Our dining room is one of the rooms in the house that is always sparkling clean and polished, ready to go.  It is great for parties and dinners of all sizes, and I love, love, LOVE it.  Because of its unique placement in the house, its table stays clear and never gets any of the clutter the breakfast room often acquires.  So, this is a big step...with a deadline.  But it was a good decision.  The views from the two windows in the dining room are bright and pleasant and make it a very happy place to work! A lot of my Classic Preppy posts this summer will probably revolve around this project...so get ready!!



3 comments:

  1. What do you plan to do with the originals after you scan them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sharon! If the item is in good shape then I will put it in an album or other archival quality storage piece and keep it. If it is not, then I will recycle/shred it. Old photos that are super faded, ripped, etc. will be in that latter group. So will yellowed newspaper clippings, etc. I have a ton of obituary clippings that fall into that group as well.

    Editing has been interesting. It is amazing the kinds of pictures that we have kept that have no composition, people with closed eyes, etc. Back before digital photography you just took the picture, had it developed and (usually) received two copies per shot. After spending good money on developing, you hated to thrown anything out. A lot of people think it's destroying a memory to get rid of pictures, but I say that a well-edited collection actually honors a memory/person much more!

    It has been so much fun...lots of uncovered treasures! And a lot more fun to come, judging from these piles!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the ages of the women in your family when they pass on to Glory, I think you've got a great shot at 'hangin out' for a while.

    ReplyDelete