Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tuesday Thought: Finding Your Balance (Forgetting Perfectionism)

Let the organizing continue!  I must admit...I have made so much progress that I am starting to run downhill with it, gathering up so much speed that I actually have to slow myself down.  I am also learning that I was wasting a lot of my time worrying about doing things "perfectly" and when I couldn't....just giving up.  Don't be like I was...get that "p" word out of your vocabulary.  There is no one (or no thing) that is perfect!!!  I'm going for that Mary Poppins truism, "practically perfect in every way."  Emphasis on "practically!"  Even Mary Poppins realized that perfection was impossible!

Here's an example...  Etiquette and protocol are my thing, so almost everything I do adheres to old-school rules.  Take the dinner party we gave for New Year's Eve.  It wasn't formal as much as it was festive, so a number of things I did were not my traditional choices. Placemats instead of a tablecloth...fine. Bread and butter plates on the table... ok.  It wasn't so formal that I had servers, and the table was all silver and gold, so the sterling bread and butter plates actually added to the look.  The one "mistake" that glares back at me when I look at the pictures was something I did in a hurry without thinking about it.  The dessert actually only required a spoon, but at the last minute, I decided to use my dessert forks as well...and as I rushed around the table adding them, I put them above the dessert spoon, rather than below....where they properly belong.  No one but me noticed this, and in a way I am glad I did it...because it was a WONDERFUL party and it made no difference whatsoever where those forks were. Knowing that helps me break through the wall of perfectionism even more.

How about you?  Does perfectionism ever get in your way?  I realized after my dinner party that I needed to find more balance in that area.  After everyone went to bed I was so bound and determined that the house be completely back in order that I was up until 3am cleaning up.  I even washed, ironed and stored the linens. That's perfectionism on steroids!  Breakfast the next morning with our company was beautiful...but I was tired.

I am so excited that the awesome Debbie Bowie, of the Rock, Paper, Scissors Institute organizing company is offering a free telephone seminar on "perfectionism."  To register simply go to this link. The seminar is Tuesday, January 14th from 7-8pm (EST).  After registering, you will be sent the toll free number to dial into.  When you dial in that night (hope to see you there!), you can hear Debbie speak on this important topic and ask your questions! Again, it's all free!!

Check out Debbie's website, too.  I have really enjoyed my coaching sessions with her and she has helped me break through a lot of walls in my struggle not knowing what to keep and what to get rid of, in order to live the best life possible.  She even has a New Year's micro-coaching special right now.

Have a great "imperfect" day!

Cheers,
Liz

1 comment:

  1. Liz,
    I admire your attitude and I need to get on the bandwagon with you. I have things that I need to let go of and I guess now is the time to do it! I am going to check out the book and maybe even sign up for the phone call. Happy New Year!
    All the best,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete