Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday At The Movies

Sorry... No Downton Abbey "enthusiastic preview" today. I am not even sure I want to keep watching at this point. Thank goodness a friend in the UK warned me. No spoilers in what I write today, but it wasn't very easy to watch, in my opinion. (***Do NOT visit this link if you do not want to know what happened, but the public outcry against this episode has been so strong that it is all over the international media. That is why I am posting the link.  I am joining the protest!)

So, we turn to movies on this Monday morning.  I am a huge fan of old movies.  Always have been, even as a kid, when there were no cable channels to feed my obsession.  TCM is showing a classic today, The Great Ziegfeld, with William Powell, Myrna Loy, Luise Rainer and others.  (Myrna Loy plays Ziegfeld's second wife, Billie Burke, best known as Glinda, the Good Witch in The Wizard of Oz.)





Luise Rainer is a stunning actress and human being.  Because she retired decades ago, many people don't know her work....but she won two Academy Awards as Best Actress. My favorite film of hers is The Good Earth, but what I think is simply extraordinary is that she is still living and quite lively at that.  She is 103!   Putting her into perspective with the current season of Downton Abbey.... She'd have been a 12 year old at the time.  Wow....

Have a great day, everyone!  Cheers, Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment