Sunday, September 8, 2013

Sunday Sermon: Do Not Build Up Treasures Here On Earth

Clutter-free entry hall....
A good start!

Looks like I am not the only one in the blogosphere who is feeling the need to lighten their load.  Granted, we are mostly in the same age bracket....but I think it's a universal truth.  I suppose something comes upon us in our late 40's/early 50's. Our children are growing up and our parents being called to their (and one day our) heavenly home.  We have a lot of "stuff."  But we also come to realize that peace does not come by having more possessions than we can use or care for.  And that kind of abundance doesn't bring happiness, either.  It is a weight that ends up putting pressure on us that we might not even realize until it's almost too late.

We start life as a single people with a manageable amount, often marry and sometimes double our possessions, but usually jettison some extra if/when we merge our lives.  But when children come along, that's often the beginning of the end.  Stuff galore!!

Then we hit the point I mentioned at the beginning of this post and we more or less revolt!  At least I feel like I am having my 1776 moment.  Others are as well...

Check out our friend Kathie Truitt's story (The Hillbilly Debutante) here.

Or read the brilliant ADG's take on moving in his blog, Maxminimus, here.

Thankfully there are members of the younger generation who give me real hope for the future!  Their perspective seems much better than that of my generation's.  (Yes, we were the "Yuppies." Excess was "in.")

I love Jennifer L. Scott (author of Lessons from Madame Chic) and her take on having a seasonal capsule wardrobe of 10 items (plus extra t-shirts/blouses).  Seriously!  Look in your closets...just how much of what is in there do you really wear?  I shocked myself when I faced my truth. A lot of those clothes are now blessing others.

Here's Jennifer's video to get you started!  Read her blog, The Daily Connoisseur for more!


1 comment:

  1. I really like this one, probably because it talks about a topic near & dear to my heart: when you have too much 'stuff,' you don't own it, it owns you. Love seeing that you are enjoy Jennifer's work, she's become a pal via my other blog. I am a fan of all the blogs you mention, they speaketh the truth! (Insert goofy grin here.)

    Sending you a smile,
    TPP (BTW, blogger isn't letting me comment as the Preppy Princess, so it will show this as being authored by the other blog.)

    ReplyDelete