Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tuesday Turn

Ok....for the rest of the week, we're going to turn our eyes to the past and talk about legends.  But, before we start, I want to ask you all a question.

A "preppy classic" has been reimagined for today.....and I am not sure it is going to suit my "classic preppy" sensibilities.

The novel is iconic.  The 1974 attempt at making it into a movie garnered this review by the late Roger Ebert:

The Great Gatsby is a superficially beautiful hunk of a movie with nothing much in common with the spirit of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel. I wonder what Fitzgerald, whose prose was so graceful, so elegantly controlled, would have made of it: of the willingness to spend so much time and energy on exterior effect while never penetrating to the souls of the characters. It would take about the same time to read Fitzgerald's novel as to view this movie -- and that's what I'd recommend. (Rest of the review is here.)

I'm really not sure about this latest attempt from what I have seen in the previews.  What do you think?



There were actually two other film versions of Gatsby before the 1974 film.  The one I would really love to see has been lost...but the trailer still exists.  How interesting it would have been to see the interpretation that Fitzgerald's contemporaries gave it....



What do you think? I'll be sure to see it when it comes out and write a review here on the blog!!

Cheers,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment