Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday Find: On The Run

Good morning!  I find that today I am "on the run" because of a family member who has been under the weather. So, this post will be a little shorter than I originally planned, but I will pick back up on it on Monday.

Let's talk about Billy Baldwin and his love of simplicity.....and how that is reflected in his use of sisal, rattan and wicker!  Those are all favorites of mine as well.  First, because I grew up with a mother who loved them and second, because I grew up in South Florida.  At the time, Delray and Palm Beach were all about sisal, rattan and wicker....and, at the time, simplicity.  Elegance reigned supreme.  Today the use of sisal, rattan and wicker continues....but simplicity seems to be going the way of the dinosaur. But I remain hopeful that this is not a permanent situation!

Sisal rug in my family's sun room, Delray Beach, Florida, circa mid-1990's
(More on the McGuire rattan featured in this photo on Monday...It has quite a history!)

A sisal rug in my "sitting room" - April 2013
(which most people would call the "living room" of the house.)

When I first worked for Tiffany & Co. in the early 1980's, all our branches had been decorated by Billy Baldwin.  Our Atlanta store was very much like being in a beautiful living room.  Below is a photo from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, giving the details of one of our etiquette events (based on the book Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers).  That's "yours truly"....30 years ago.....in the center, pouring. I wish you could have seen the wallpaper and the matching fabric on the sofa.  It was simply exquisite!  The parsons table is typical of Billy Baldwin, as are the wicker side chairs.


I'll get to my house book on Monday, tell you about Miss Betty and her "McGuire," and we'll talk about more legends of decorating AND get into our gardens.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment