Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tuesday Tips and Treats

Photo courtesy NewYorkSocialDiary.com
Let's start with Lilly!  That's always a treat.....

You must, must MUST read the article in today's New York Social Diary about Becky Smith of Thatchers Fine Timeless Fabric and the people who designed/created many of Lilly's fabrics.  It's wonderful....and you will be so inspired by her website!

I remember once going somewhere with Miss Betty where we got to see a plethora of bolts of Lilly fabric.  I also remember going to a little workshop where you could buy other prints that were like Lilly's, but didn't have the Lilly name in them.  There was a lot going on in the Keys and South Florida back then....just wish I had paid more attention as a youngster.  As I said in one of my first posts (Growing Up Lillified), I just didn't get it!
                       

Now for our tips of the day.....and speaking of Lilly.....

Tip #1: It's time to get those closets changed over from fall/winter to spring/summer.   Let's do it....Maybe if we all band together and ban winter, proclaiming that spring is here, we will banish this cold weather.  I am blessed to have two large closets all to myself, so one is for fall/winter and the other for spring/summer.  I am not changing closets, but I am rehanging clothes. LOVE the new skinny hangers (on left in photo) that I am starting to use.  As you can see, this part of the closet is still in progress!  Thanks to the Clutter Diet, I am well on my way to an organized spring.  It's not easy. I go a mile-a-minute, often leaving a paper trail behind me, and I spend many of my days praying my housekeeper won't quit. My plan is to get things in order, so she can actually clean, not just move the clutter.


So, off go the winter clothes....coats into storage.....and a special Preppy shout out to my favorite cashmere coat.  I have had this since Miss Betty and I flew to Atlanta for the day in January of 1977, to check out the winter sales and get me outfitted for my journey "north" to college the following fall.  We found this beautiful cashmere coat at Rich's.  I was so excited to be getting a winter coat (south Floridians don't generally need them), and wore it proudly for years.  Still do, as a matter of fact!  It's in great shape and about 10 years ago, I took off the old buttons and changed them with these amazing Italian tortoise shell buttons.  This coat has a lot of stories to tell...  One day, when I have nothing better to write about, I will tell you the story of the college fire drill and the Classic Preppy's coat dilemma!!!

Tip #2: It's not just clothes that need changing, either!  Change your accessories and feel the difference in your attitude.  Promise!!  Just changing my iPad cover and drink cup (hot to cold) was enough to cheer me up!  Thank you, Lilly Pulitzer!


Yesterday I mentioned that I would tell you more about how Preps can save money.  Think I will hold that post for Thursday, but believe me.....whether we live in cottages or castles, we like to save on some things so we feel good about spending full price on others!!

Are you a regular Brooks Brothers shopper for instance?  Dear Husband and I are, and having a BB charge card means we get all kinds of gift cards and discounts in the mail!  I'll tell you more about being "Prep-ared" to save while shopping on Thursday, but in the meantime, here is a glimpse of the little notebook I keep with me....and tucked into its pocket, ready to go in my wallet....a $25 off promotion card for my next trip to BB.  Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. Great reminder and I'm banning with you to change out my closets this week! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check out the article! I'm with you on "willing away" winter by changing out the closet. Hopefully the warmer weather is here to stay!

    ReplyDelete