Monday, April 11, 2011

Material Matters Monday: Bucking A Tradition

I received a wonderful question from a reader (and friend) this weekend and wanted to share it with you all.  This is from a very discerning man with excellent taste. Southern, of course, and a dear friend from my Atlanta days.  He is now an executive at one of Hollywood's largest movie and television studios.  I am so proud of him for all he has accomplished....and yet, he still remembers the important things in life!  For privacy's sake, I will not use his picture nor mention his name.  He calls me "Bootsy" and I call him "Chip."  (You can tell we were friends when The Preppy Handbook came out!)


"I'm attending a wedding in Sarasotta in June and of course I must prep out. I've got a nice blue seersucker suite, but sadly, my white bucks have seen their last year. It is nearly impossible to find white suede bucks. Are you familiar with "nubuc?" As best I can tell, it is a leather exterior rather than suede. All the classic labels have white oxfords in such material. Will I be laughed off the plantation with such a modern twist?"


I immediately tweeted my contact at Brooks Brothers (or as another blogger calls them, The Brethren Brooks), and received an "ok".....along with a link to their very own bucks, in case Chip wanted to consider those.   Tres chic! See them by clicking here.

An outstanding preppy wardrobe takes planning, purchasing and proper maintenance.....but in the preppy world, things last forever.  "Worn" can be quite elegant on its own, so we get a lot of mileage out of what we buy.  (I am talking old-school prep here...)   However, if you don't live in a part of the country where you would wear seersucker and its accompanying accessories much, you need to think about how much you want to commit.  Hmm......Even if seersucker/white bucks aren't LA movie chic, I am betting my friend could start a new trend.  What I do know is this:  Brooks Brothers is always a great investment and I bet those bucks (with proper care) will last forever!

 Found this image on Google images, and discovered a great new blogger.  
Please visit Patrick at 

Oooh.......spring is here, and summer is on the way.  Lots more to say about that this week!  Come back tomorrow for a look at being "Prep-ared"....we're even going to look at Preps saving money and Preppy coupons.....a whole different kind of "extreme couponing!"  (Including amazing deals at Brooks Brothers!!!)

2 comments:

  1. In a pinch there is always Roberts:
    http://www.robertsshoestore.com/mbassaddle_1.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. "if you don't live in a part of the country where you would wear seersucker"-- who would EVER want to live somewhere like that??, hehe

    ReplyDelete