Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Well, I Never!" Wednesday

Don't you love the classic Southern phrase...."Well, I never!"?  I do....It's one of my favorites.  As a matter of fact, I think it should replace the more common (and I mean "common" as in "vulgar" as well as in "used constantly") WTF?   I think I will start referring to WIN and see if it catches on!!

Having said all that, I think it might be more appropriate to title this post "What Were They Thinking?" Wednesday.  I would like to say I was shocked (but I wasn't) and appalled (definitely was!) on hearing about the push-up bikini top that Abercrombie and Fitch was marketing to little girls.  I don't mean small boned teenagers, either.  We are talking seven year olds here!!

You can see a Today Show segment about it by clicking here.

Picture from Abercrombie and Fitch website

Swimsuits for little girls should be simple, sweet and age appropriate.  What has the world come to when babies and toddlers are being dressed like strippers?  (If you watch any of those "beauty pageants for children" tv shows, you know what I mean!)

Of course, I am, as always, a throwback to tradition.  Miss Betty bought me some cute bathing suits when I was a little one.  I lived the first couple of years of my life in Virginia Beach, and the rest of my growing up days in Delray Beach, Florida, and living at the beach meant being in a swimsuit more often than not.  One of the cutest suits was a darling little thing from Bergdorf Goodman's.  Miss Betty saved it with many of my other baby clothes...and 33 years later, my own daughter wore it... and it was just as cute.  She received so many compliments, and Miss Betty (and I) really enjoyed seeing her in it!  It is packed away safely, in case I ever have a granddaughter who might like to wear it! (Unfortunately even the cutest suits today have so much elastic and other materials that don't wear well, and it's hard to save much.)


 The Cavalier Beach Club, Virginia Beach, Virginia 1960

Litchfield Beach, South Carolina, 1993

Looking at all these swimsuit pictures makes me think I better go hit the treadmill! But before I go, check out some cute and more appropriate options from Lilly Pulitzer.



Photos from LillyPulitzer.com

See you tomorrow!!

Cheers,
Liz

8 comments:

  1. I said the same thing when I saw those swimsuits. I think your little swimsuit is adorable. I'm glad that you are able to save it. They don't make things like they used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more.
    My Muffy never "pushed" anything up until there was something there to push up, hmppff! Why some folks want to rush little girls is beyond me.

    Love,
    Mrs. Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, my goodness! I am shocked by that Abercrombie suit..what is the world coming to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ABercrombie has always pushed the line. People should quit spending money there. Appalled is exactly what I was, too. WIN is right! I need a new "old" clean term (I have been cleaning up my dirty mouth since the birth of my nephew. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just appalled when I saw that abercrombie bathing suit on the Today show! Not only a bikini, but a PUSH UP bikini!?!? Are you serious!?
    I love LOVE the Lilly Bathing suits for girls... So age appropriate and adorable.
    I think it so awesome Miss Betty saved the bathing suit and it's been handed down... I love traditions!
    xoxo-Vy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always say "Well I never," usually followed by "hearda' such!". I saw this story on TV Tuesday night! It's so ridiculous that A&F sales this stuff, but the really sad part is that Mamas buy these hathing suits for their little girls! What ever happened to " age-appropriate clothing? Of course, I love the Little Lilly suits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I either say "Well I never," or Miss Janice's full sentence. I am never shocked but always appalled at what Abercrombie or A&F does. So glad my daughter never shopped there. So love the little Lilly bathing suits. That is the way little girls should dress. I again agree with Miss Janice, "What ever happened to age-appropriate clothing?" With traditional children's clothing (RL, Lilly, VV for kids, etc) sharing very similar or sometimes exact styles for children, juniors, and adults, very small older youth and adults can still buy in children's sizes... we don't need those other stores allowing little ones to grow up way too soon!

    If you don't mind, I am going to quote the beginning of this post on tumblr, most definitely giving credit to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Humm push up bikinis for the little ones, what next? Todays society's priorities are really questionable. It's not right. Love the pictures. They seem so innocent (sigh). Good job and great site.

    ReplyDelete