Monday, March 28, 2011

Miss Betty Monday: Traveling In Style

One of the most visible blog changes for this second year is the background.  Originally it was the view from an airplane window...but that was just too busy for the page.  So it's simpler now....just great vintage luggage and a white background.  I hope you like it!

Travel has always been a big part of my life.  I started flying from here to there in infancy,  and Miss Betty traveled from being a young woman until practically the day she died.  The last couple of decades were challenging for her, though....Not because of any physical limitations..... She just couldn't understand...nor would she accept... the cultural change of travel attire! 

You see, Miss Betty dressed. Always. No matter what.  No matter where.  She got that from her mother, I think......and even her earliest pictures attest to that fact. I think she was so well known for it that she was actually asked to model for a South Carolina department store in an ad highlighting "Back to College" travel attire. Here are the cover photos and a scan of part of a huge ad that was in the Greenville, SC newspaper!





Miss Betty held fast to her standards of proper  travel attire and accessories throughout the years.  I still have her gorgeous matched set of leather luggage, and it's on my to-do list to have it restored and use it.  Her main mode of transport was the jet airplane (and the propeller version before that), and we (my brother and I) were dressed to fly as well.  (My dad was always in a jacket and tie, so Miss Betty never had to worry about him.)


Miss Betty also liked train travel.....At least train travel as it existed from the 1930's to the 1960's.  She used to tell me about all of her wonderful train trips back and forth to New York in the 1940's, when she was a young woman and moved from South Carolina to Manhattan.  That's when train travel was an art.  Porters, smoking cars, dining cars, and beautiful service.  That exists today on the Orient Express, I suppose, but not elsewhere.  (Amtrak keeps trying....bless their hearts!)

She liked traveling by ship as well, although she was a "crosser" more than a "cruiser." I have material for an unlimited number of posts about her 1952 crossing on the original Queen Elizabeth.  Also, in the first class section on that trip were the writer, Agatha Christie, the actor, Joseph Cotten, and several other interesting sorts, many of whom are mentioned in the journal she kept (along with her sister and traveling companion, Frances).

Miss Betty is the blonde on the left, and her sister, Frances, is the blonde on the right.  
They were traveling with their aunt and uncle.

It's a different day and age now.  Last year on an early morning flight to Atlanta, I swear I saw people traveling in what appeared to be pajamas!!!

What do you wear to travel?  I try to choose things that are chic, classic, and comfortable....especially comfortable, because one must practically "undress" at security.

Do you have any hints for our readers?  Do tell!



PS.  For newer readers, Miss Betty was my mother, and quite a character, to boot!  More Miss Betty stories can be found here ("Growing Up Lillified"), here ("Classic Preppy and Miss Betty") and here ("Weddings and Anniversaries/Curtsy to the Queen").

Images not from my personal collection are from Google images.  If I have used anything improperly, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment