Thursday, December 30, 2010

Traditional Thursday: Classic Exercises

Slacker.   If I had to chose one word to describe myself when it came to exercising, that's what I would choose.

I don't mean to be a slacker, but I am.  Once I start walking or working out in some fashion, I usually don't mind it too much....and often enjoy it.....but it's getting started that's the problem.  So, my New Year's Resolution (along with eating better) is not any particular amount of time to exercise, or any particular exercise to do.  It's just to be less of an exercise slacker.

When I lived in Atlanta, just after college, my best friend and I decided we had gained weight and needed to have a regular exercise regime, so we went to the Elaine Powers Figure Salon. (I remember that I had gone from 121 to 126 and was mortified!!  LOL....) I don't know if Elaine Powers even exists anymore, but it was quite popular in the 1970's and 80's.  As best as I can remember, it was somewhat like Curves is today.....a series of exercise stations that you did in a circuit.  What I definitely remember is that the first one in the circuit.....even in the early/mid 80's.....was one of those machine that you stood on (with the belt around your derriere) that shook the fat away. The one after that was a machine of rotating rollers that you leaned against, which I suppose was meant to massage the fat away..... I remember thinking at the time that I was surprised those things still existed, but Elaine Powers insisted that they worked!  (The other thing I remember about that experience is that they had my friend and me write down everything we ate for a week....and when we returned the following week, they reviewed our diet flaws with us.  They told me I had too many breads/desserts on my list and they told my friend (who is English) that there was too much alcohol on hers.  I said I would try to cut back and she told them, in all seriousness, that they would need to find another way for her to lose weight!!)

If you want to see more about exercise through the ages, check out the March of Time special on my favorite cable channel....Turner Classic Movies....It starts at 2pm on January 1st.  


What are YOUR New Year's Resolutions?

1 comment:

  1. Remember the exercise room in The Women? My resolutions are to try to exercise more, eat healthier, appear more professional and stay out of the cheap places (Wal-Mart, McDonald's, etc.)

    ReplyDelete