Monday, December 27, 2010

Miss Betty Monday: Our Particular Tradition

My father passed away in December 1998, less than a week before Christmas.  Consequently it was a very sad time for my family....and Miss Betty and I decided we needed something to take our minds off the sadness.  So, we started something that became a post-Christmas tradition, which I follow to this day.  After Christmas, we had a multi-day viewing of the 1995 BBC version of  Pride and Prejudice.

It would be an understatement to say that this is my favorite version of P & P.  I saw it in 1995, bought it on video when it came out, then DVD, then Special Edition DVD, then Blu-Ray.....and, this year, I bought it through Itunes so I could watch it on my Ipad!  That is how I am viewing it this year and it is brilliant!!!!

So that you can join in Miss Betty's and my "particular tradition" (said in an Austen-like manner), here is a clip of some favorite scenes. 

7 comments:

  1. I think that is everyone's favorite scene. I like that version of Pride and Prejudice. I have it on VHS. I may have to get the DVD,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when they play the series on PBS on Sunday nights. My favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And who wouldn't be 'cheered up'' by that beautiful face? I know this has to be a nostalgic, poignant time of year for year...every year. Thank you for always sharing Miss Betty with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is the quality on your iPad? I have it on DVD already. I need to know! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quality on the iPad can only be called "perfect!" LOL I kept calling my husband over to show him..... "Look at this! It's crystal clear and the colors are so vibrant." He thinks I am crazy, but I love having it to take with me on trips. I never tire of it!! (Videos use a lot of data, so I don't keep all of my iTunes store videos on my iPad at once, but I think P&P will be there permanently! It really is remarkable... The tones of the colors (including skin tones) are perfection.

    At least that's my humble opinion!

    PS. Another neat feature of the iTunes/iPad version, is that when you listen with your headphones, you hear all kinds of great background conversation in detail, which you completely lose when it's on tv....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgive me while I swoon...

    Oh, my, how I love that scene! I refer to Colin Firth as my "other husband." I read once that he regrets ever filming that particular sequence because every female fan he meets references it and swoons as I do!

    I adore your tradition of watching Pride and Prejudice after Christmas each year. I may have to adopt that one myself! I own the series on DVD. When I get an iPad, I will certainly have to purchase it for that medium as well.

    My other favorite scene from Pride and Prejudice is at the end when Mr. Darcy and Lizzy are walking together and he says, "You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever." {sigh}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again Mrs. Steele,
    This is Lizzy Lafranchise (my mom is Joan Lynch Lafranchise). I just wanted to say that we follow this same tradition on nearly every break and/or holiday! Whenever we are feeling bored or down we watch the BBC's P and P (Colin Firth version)! My mom has talked about Miss Betty fondly many times and she was reminiscing while reading your blog today. Best to you on your Palm Beach vacation. We know you will be impeccably dressed and graciously mannered.
    Best,
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete