Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday Sadness: Where Is Kate?

I am so excited about my upcoming trip to Colorado....Will be seeing some folks I haven't seen in ages, and some places that are near and dear to my heart. As a historic preservationist, it is thrilling to me that so many places I remember from 40 years ago are still there.

The Historic Park Theatre is still there and still looks the same....Hope I have time to catch a movie! I remember seeing Chitty, Chitty Bang Bang in the summer of 1969....and the theatre has remained a vivid memory ever since.  Just look at it and I think you will see why!

You can read the story behind the theatre and its preservation at the link above.

The Park Theatre is a place we would go to by car, but some of the areas best attractions we would get to on horseback.  Calico Kate's Pantry in Glen Haven was one of those places....
           

Although Calico Kate's Pantry is no longer in business in darling Glen Haven, the Glen Haven General Store is there, with all of its treats and treasures... However, I was so excited after a quick internet search to find that Calico Kate's owner's grandson had reopened a version of the store in Loveland!  I had my route planned and was excited about a quick visit.....but then I noticed their website had disappeared and the phone had been disconnected.  It looks like it might have been hit by the economy like a lot of other businesses.  If any of you readers are from Loveland, Colorado or know anything about it, please let me know.  That store holds such fond memories for me....  We would ride the horses from McGraw Ranch up to Glen Haven, and "shop."  Such fun! ... Oh well, at least I still have my CK cookbooks!

Photos from the Park Theatre website and Loveland's Treasures

No comments:

Post a Comment