Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Wonderful Wednesday: Good Manners


Where have good manners gone?  They just seem to be so few and far between these days.....

There was a wonderful article about this in the Palm Beach Daily News the other day. Click on the "Shiny Sheet" here to read it!

Miss Janice wrote a great post on etiquette pet peeves the other day.  The one I listed was "men who wear their hats/caps inside."  There are others, too....not Rsvp'ing to a party, children who talk back to adults right in front of their parents (who seem to think it's "cute"), people who talk loudly on their cell phones in public, etc.   There are still a lot of great people who live a well-mannered life....but the group is shrinking.

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I understand. I am appalled at not only the way people act, but the way they treat each other. I also don't like the way some treat those they see as 'service' people. i.e. restaurant workers, sales clerks in department stores, etc. When I see someone I consider to be a friend treat someone badly (even if it's McDonalds)it really makes me re-think the friendship.

    I went to a lovely garden party last year. Midway through the evening this couples pre-teen daughter came outside and proceeded to sit down in the chairs (right as food was being served). I thought this was so rude. My mother never would have allowed that. It was an adult party, but even if it wasn't I still wouldn't have allowed my children to deprive my guests of a comfortable place to sit and eat.

    I try not to be judgemental because I'm sure I don't do it right all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a particular fan of Whoopie Goldberg but have you ever seen her skit about manners? It's very funny but she makes this point. Our generation didn't believe in "rules". So we raised our children without the rules and they are raising their children to act like wolverines (or something similar).

    I'm constantly appalled at the number of people who think the "rules" don't apply to them (& apparently they are correct in that assumption) and the "entitlement attitude" people have and how they treat people they feel are "inferior" to them. It's been very discouraging to raise children with a certain set of standards and manners and then turn them out into the world in their 20's. You suddenly realize those standards and manners don't mean much in most of today's society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just amazes me today how parents let their children behave in public. To me, it's not the fault of the child, but a reflection on the parents.

    I don't care how people behave in private, but I do care how they behave in public.

    I agree with both Kathy Pruitt and Hoosa Prep...it all goes back to the parents!

    ReplyDelete