Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Tuesday Treat

I am going to write much more about this later....but I had such fun at lunch today I had to run straight the computer as soon as I got home, to tell you all about it.

My dear friend, Beth Moore, who is the Interim Executive Director of the Junior League of Richmond, invited me to be her guest at the JLR's Book and Author Luncheon...which is part of an amazing fundraiser the JLR does annually.  Check out their website and click on Book and Author Dinner to read more! Read about the featured authors here.

JLR President Angela Robinson with JLR Executive Director Beth Moore

I was seated with a fascinating group of people during the luncheon, most of whom were new to me, and I thoroughly enjoyed their company.  Spending time talking with the various authors was a treat as well...and I arrived home with a huge stack of signed books!  (For those of you who read last Friday's post on Suite Francaise and its author, Irene Nemirovsky, you know I have a thing for books!  Perhaps it's time to have more bookshelves built....)

Guest author, Abraham Verghese, JLR President Angela Robinson, 
Author and MC of the event, Bob Deans,  
Book and Author Chair and Chair-Elect, Kay Tyler and Eva Hartmann

It's going to be a busy day for all involved in this project, but I know tonight will be a raving success!  If you are in or near Richmond, please try to come next year....and if you are in another city that has a Junior League or similar group, you really ought to look into doing an event like this.  The JLR was the first to do so, and its members have guided other groups in starting their own.

Because I went Sustaining early, and have been busy with other volunteerism and board duties, I have not done much with the Richmond League.  I am ashamed to admit it.....But today was so inspiring, I think I might have to change that!

I will write more next week about some of the authors and their books.....In the meantime, you can order their books online at any retailer or here (from one of Richmond's best bookstores!): The Fountain Bookstore

4 comments:

  1. I've just found your blog for the first time...and it looks like we have a lot of the same "likes". Books, books and more books! I loved Suite Francais as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great lunch! Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful event. I'm the incoming Public Affairs & Advocacy Chair for my local League. I may have to "borrow" this idea to share with some of the other committes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super luncheon! Junior League activities are fantastic. Enjoy! And I love a blog that loves books!

    ReplyDelete