Monday, May 3, 2010

Madras Monday

Well, we are past the preppy landmark of the Kentucky Derby....I was in my own race, getting Older Daughter home from college, so I missed the festivities....but things looked great as always!

Of course, there is always the traditional Mint Julep...
                                                             Photo from KentuckyDerby.com

And there is nothing better than a silver julep to drink from!  Miss Betty always kept her julep cups on the butler's tray outside the kitchen door, and my brother and I grew up drinking our milk from them.  They were so much fun, because they would frost beautifully and allow us to draw all kinds of patterns on them! Again, Miss Betty lived by the credo, "if you have it, use it!"

This is one of my favorite photos, from when my brother was an infant.  My dad is holding us on his lap on the front porch of the house in Virginia Beach, where I spent the first couple of years of my life.  Notice his cup of choice? 


Here's a fun drink recipe to serve in your julep cups (or highball glasses)....

The Madras
(*For my readers under 21...or for those of you who do not care for alcohol: To make yours special, please substitute something like San Pellegrino or ginger ale for the vodka...)

From About.com:
The Madras is a refreshing, fruity highball drink that should be included on everyone's drinks to know list. Yet, while it may be an easy drink to make (vodka, cranberry, orange), it can be easily confused with its vodka-cranberry cousins like the Cape Codder (vodka-cranberry), Sea Breeze (vodka-cranberry-grapefruit) and Bay Breeze (vodka-cranberry-pineapple).
  • 1 1/2 oz vodka
  • 3 oz cranberry juice
  • 1 oz orange juice
  1. Pour the vodka and cranberry juice into a highball glass (or julep cup!).
  2. Stir well.
  3. Top off with orange juice.   
  4. The Classic Preppy always has hers over crushed ice!



8 comments:

  1. I believe this will be on the menu for the next Rowdy Girls weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I slept through the Derby after participating all night in The Relay for Life:( I agree with Miss Betty's credo...I definitely use the good stuff! Today I have mentioned your blog in a post...hope you don't mind that I featured your turtle logo photo and the photos from The Spelling Bee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I popped over from Miss Janice's blog to say hello! I adore your site and your precious turtle logo!

    I am off to peek around your blog a little bit...if you don't mind?!

    Have a wonderful day!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I popped over from Miss Janice's and am glad I did. Thank you for a lovely post. I copied the recipe for The Madras. Thank you. My julip cups are on a tray on a buffet server, waiting for ice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delish and really easy to make! :) Will definitely add to my list of drinks!
    I just love the picture of you and your brother in your dad's lap. I also love that it's taken in my hometown! Do you get a chance to get back and visit? :)
    XOXO- Vy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do get to go back and visit....It's only a couple of hours from here...and I love VA Beach! That little house is still standing...all the other houses on the street were torn down and condos were built there. It's on what used to be 38th Street but now is called Linkhorn Drive....just across from what used to be the first tee of the Princess Anne Country Club. I think that part of the course, is now the parking lot for the new clubhouse... My husband is sick of our "drive-by's" but I do have some vague memories of that house, and it is wonderful to know it's still there!! I am going to write a post about it one day....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came across your site via Lily Lemontree - fabulous! I love all things preppy, so you have a new follower here. Also, being a Kentucky gal, love you post about the julep cups. Mine were out for our Derby party on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete