Monday, May 17, 2010

Blog Award

Thank you to Living Well for this awesome blog award!  Her blog is wonderful....Check it out!! (You young bloggers really give me hope for the future....You are all terrific!!)

If you haven't checked out Living Well, you definitely should!

The award rules say to list 7 interesting things about yourself and then pass it on to 7 other bloggers. Here are my 7 (hopefully) interesting things:

1. I am a beach baby.....Lived the first couple of years of my life in Virginia Beach, near the beach and then grew up in Delray Beach, Florida.  I now live inland (in Richmond, Virginia), but overlook the water......well, it's a pool, but it looks "natural".... from the back of my house, so I am happy.


2. This is a "Preppy Confession" of sorts.....I ride....but I ride Western, and not English.  Can't help it...I grew up spending a lot of time in Colorado and Western was the only option.  Going back there to ride this summer, too....and do a historic preservation tour/seminar! (It's tied into one of my historic preservation projects : www.mcgrawranch.com )

I love this clip from The Women....




3. Another "Preppy Confession"....I refused to go to prep school and insisted that I go to the local public high school.  And although I went to a private woman's college, I also refused to make my debut.  These decisions/refusals didn't make Miss Betty too happy, but she understood my reasons and eventually supported my decisions. (My brother did prep...and boarded....like my father did.....so he held up the family honor.)

4. I started French lessons in 2nd grade.  My friend's mother was fluent in several languages and she taught us after school.  We conjugated verbs, learned French grammar, etc....and she made it fun.  It was so easy for me to step into French in college.  (I did Latin through high school).  I am a total Francophile.....even live in a French Provincial house.  Grew up in one, too!

5. I am completely obsessed with a BBC show called MI-5 (At least it's called that here in America.  In England it is called Spooks.)  Amazing.  Thanks to a dear friend's lead, I was able to subscribe to an internet service and see the latest season online.  It won't be out on DVD here until January 2011.  If you haven't seen this show, but like shows such as 24, then check MI-5 (Spooks) out on Netflix!




6. I love, love, love all the volunteer work I do....always have.....and I have been hard at it since college.  However, I do NOT like to ask people for money.  I find it so embarrassing....  Those who are in "Development" have a real gift....It's just not my comfort zone....

7. I was 46 before I ever had a dog.  Always have loved (little) dogs, but growing up we traveled so much, it just never worked out.....Then, being single, it never occurred to me.  First married, busy....babies came along, busier.  Finally, I realized I had been promising myself and our girls for so long that I needed to get busy.  My sister-in-law had a Shih-Poo that was the cutest thing I had ever seen, so we went to Maryland and got our Lucy from their breeder.  She is my baby....and she and Younger Daughter actually have the same birthday!  Lucy will be 5 next month....

    Birthday Girls                                             Waiting for her family to come home.

                                            Taking a nap with her Teddy. 

I'm passing this award on to all of you with blogs....These are fun questions to answer!  Have at it!!!

I hope everyone is having a great start to their week!

5 comments:

  1. So fun and honest! I love volunteering and can't wait to do more of it when I'm older! I will not be in a deb ball which is perfectly fine by me! I think its great you made your own decision and obviously its been great for you! Love your list and hope you have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love MI5, too! Our PBS station carries it now, but I used to watch it on BBC America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I need to check out M15! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been riding since I was a year old and I'm here to tell you that if you can ride Western, you can ride English BETTER! you're never too old to start. Yes, you're legs will be a little sore at first and it will feel awkward but I think you'll like it even better.

    If I had to make a choice of which to ride for the rest of my life it would be English just because I feel so much more feminine and at one with my horse. Try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh what fun! i was awarded this too! i love learning about my blogger friends. my little baby puppy did not make my list, but i have a maltese that i absolutely adore, too. she sleeps with a hello kitty baby of her own, too! how cute are our four-legged baby girls?!?

    ReplyDelete