Thursday, April 29, 2010

Traditional Thursday: "Prep"osition Day

"Oh, Mummy!  Bootsy just sent the cutest candlesticks to Chip and I!"

This is probably where my age is going to show, but I just can't help it!  In the last several years there has been a situation in this country that has steadily declined....

What am I talking about??......

Prepositions and Pronouns...and how they are used and abused.

I thought that since "prep" was part of the word "preposition," this might be an appropriate topic for the Classic Preppy!

It has been my experience that the average "Preppy" or "WASP" has a fairly strong command of English.  Good grammar, clear articulation....all part of the package. Yet these days even some of us are saying things like:

"That's between she and I."  

What?????  We didn't learn that at prep school....or public school...or any school!

The first and second person usage in that sentence is that of the object and not the subject....so it's her/me and not she/I.   Sometimes I hear it mixed, as in "That's between her and I."   Almost there....but still wrong.....

The first person singular is where the offense most often occurs. Hmmmm......Could it be an ego thing?  Do people think that saying "I" sounds more cultured than "me?"
I just can't figure it out....and it's everywhere!!

This may be more of a Thursday Throwback than a Traditional Thursday.... but I think this practice needs to stop and that we can take a step in that direction today.  Using bad grammar is like having bad table manners.  We may not think anyone notices, but they do!

Let's make today PREPosition Day...Come on, Preppies, be a great example to the world.  Share the love....and proper use of the preposition (and pronoun)!

Some childhood reminders of the right way to do it...





If we don't get this under control soon, things may get worse....

6 comments:

  1. grammar rock is definitely on my ipod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl. I am SO with you on this one. I'm one of those who will correct without hesitation. Grammer today is dreadful. My personal nemisis is, "Me and so and so...." Awful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post. Don't even get me started on the misuse of lie and lay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree. I feel texting is going to increase the misuse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen any of the Schoolhouse Rock clips since I was a child, definitely put a smile on my face!

    Your post is spot on! I am not sure what has happened or when it started to happen but the misuse of the English language has gotten out of control!
    It seems that the use of proper grammar has gone the way of cursive writing (a little bit of a sore point with me). I have read that that cursive writing has been deemed outdated and unnecessary and some school boards are trying to phase out the teaching of proper handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes me crazy when people use "I" incorrectly at the end of a sentence. It's as if they think using "I" instead of "me" sounds more intelligent?!?! I often hear celebrities doing this. I just want to slap them!

    And "at" at the end of a sentence? Just scrape a chalkboard with your fingernails!

    ReplyDelete