Monday, April 19, 2010

Madras Monday

We have a winner in our contest!   MFW, from Prissy and Preppy Flamingo, who guessed 1300 miles.   The actual trip was 1523 miles.  I told you I didn't take a direct route!!  Richmond to Charlotte to the middle of South Carolina to Charleston to Seabrook/Kiawah (twice), back to Charlotte and then back to Richmond.  A lot of driving.  Why?  To "see" family....which also included stops at various cemeteries throughout South Carolina.  I seem to be the only relative who is interested in genealogy and historic preservation....so I have to make sure things are well cared for, and spring is the best time of year to do that!  It's hot in central South Carolina in the summer....


Speaking of genealogy.....Today would have been my maternal grandmother's 111th birthday.  She was born on April 19, 1899 on the family plantation in Blairs, SC.  When she was 8, my great-grandfather, who owned some other businesses as well, moved his family upstate to Greenville....and that is where my grandmother spent the rest of her life.  (Although she always liked to travel, making her last big trip to England when she was 91 years old.)

 Four generations at a family wedding, 1995.

Ma-Ma (the "a" was short) passed away in April of 2000, just a couple of weeks before her 101st birthday.... in the house she had grown up in and lived in once again during the last 15 years of her life.  Her sister had lived there continuously since 1907 and she died in 1999 at the age of 105.

 Ma-Ma (age 96), Older Daughter (age 3 1/2) and Great-Aunt Helen (age 101 1/2)

Both of these women were "classic preppy chic" and an inspiration to many generations of family and friends.  You will hear more about them (and Miss Betty) when we talk about houses and gardens on "Wonderful Wednesday."  It is Historic Garden Week here in Virginia.....and with all those house and garden tours all over the state, this week is a wonder all its own!

I just got word that my cousin and his wife might be headed to the hospital to welcome Baby #2.....Ma-Ma's 12th great-grandchild.  How wonderful that he might be born on this very special day. Welcome to the world, sweet baby..... Happy Birthday, dear Ma-Ma!  You are truly missed!!

6 comments:

  1. I love history too! What fabulous pictures! I can't believe I won, I'm terrible at guessing games! My email is lillylover09@live.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely looking ladies, especially the little one in the middle! I just love these stories about the ladies of your family! More please!!
    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are wonderful! I am about to move from Nashville to Greenville, SC. I am looking forward to it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love history and geneology. I like to hear about everyone's families. What great pictures of your grandmother and great aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful post and I LOVE your blog! Thanks so much for commenting on mine and I still can't believe that we were in the League together back in Charlotte, wow! And also have a Macon connection. Again, what a small world...

    If you ever are traveling southwards of Charleston and Kiawah, I'm on a tiny island off the coast near Beaufort... we could meet-up on Beaufort's quaint main street for coffee n' chatting at Common Grounds :)

    All the best, Lachlan and p.s., I'm a huge Alexandra Stoddard fan too and remember her coming to one of our general meetings to sign books and give a talk- that was a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ma-Ma and Aunt Helen continued to be beauties to the last years of their life it appears.

    My mother is also into geneology and while when I was younger it bored me, at this stage of my life I am thrilled that she stayed with it. I am an 8th generation Virginian - once removed. Meaning that I was actually born and lived in southern Missouri (my Daddy was the first baby born outside the Commonwealth since the 1700's) but got back to Virginia as soon as I could. Both families are from Virginia, and my mothers family still owns the original plantation in Surry Country. While I shied away from the lineage groups in my youth I am now enjoying the DAR (John Alexander Chapter). I've been invited to join the Colonial Dames, Daughters of the Confederacy and The Hugeonot Society but good grief!! there's only 24 hours in a day! Ha!

    I love the pictures of the women in your family. See what you have to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete