Sunday, April 18, 2010

Second Sunday Post

Have to add another post today... I was "tagged" when I was away and I completely missed it!  Thanks, Vy....and sorry to be late!  Well, here goes.....



The rules: 
1. Click on the above button and paste onto your blog/website
2. Answer the below questions
3. Pass onto 10 bloggers that you love, go to their blog and let them know they've been tagged. (I think all of you that read this blog and have your own have already done this!)

1. Who is your style icon?  That's a tough one...but I would have to say Coco Chanel.  She was very original for her time, and yet quickly became a classic...and remains one to this day (although there are some things coming from the atelier of Chanel today that I do not think would have her blessing...)



2. What is your favorite socialite lit book?  The Great Gatsby....  Fitzgerald really "got it," and that era was the start of what we know as modern preppy today.  (However, I have just ordered Beth Dunn's book...and can't wait to read it.  What a great idea to do a tongue-in-cheek look at the new...but definitely not improved... world of today's "socialite."  When I watch some of the new breed of "socialites"/housewives on their reality shows, it really makes me wonder how ego can so utterly destroy sanity.)



3.
 Favorite party theme?  Not sure this is a "theme,"
but my favorite party is a casual, comfortable evening picnic on the beach....as they existed when I was growing up in South Florida.  If you read Lilly Pulitzer's book on entertaining, she talks about this same type of thing....The only thing is you more or less have to have a private beach to do it these days.  We make do with the loggia at the back of our house....It overlooks the pool, which is as close as I am going to get to having an ocean view!


 
(My other favorite type of party is a good old Southern family reunion....all the cousins gathered at the lake house, everyone bringing something yummy and terribly bad for you...fried chicken, potato salad, sweet tea, brownies.....Mmmmmmm.  Boating, swimming, sharing memories and stories, watching the next generation play together and get to know each other.  That's the best!)

4. Go to Halloween costume? I haven't dressed up for Halloween in so long I don't know what to say.  My ideal is just to get into my pj's....but since I know that would scare the kids who come to the door, I usually stay in my jeans!

5. Extravagance you cannot live without?  My jewelry.  For some people it's shoes, and for me it's bracelets, pins (brooches) and earrings....not to mention rings, necklaces, etc.  Not all at once of course....but I will tell you that my nickname at the beach was (and is) "Shark Bait."   
  
6. Living person you admire? There are many, but there is one special person that I won't actually name, because I know she has started reading this blog.  She knows who she is, and why I admire her so much.  She is younger than I, but we are good friends because we have a lot in common. She has had challenges to face that I never had....but she holds her head high, even in the most awkward of situations, and is always a lady.  Although she is younger than I, I want to grow up to be just like her!!

7. Greatest fear? This probably sounds funny, but I don't believe in fear.  God is in charge, and "...yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil."  If I have to list my greatest concern, it would be that in generations to come we would completely lose our sense of decorum, proper behavior, and  genuine sense of self-worth.  (See the last sentence of my answer to Question #2!)

8. Trait you deplore in yourself?
The amount of time I spend on my computer....but I always seem to have a project going!  My daughters say their memories of "Mom in the kitchen" are me at my desk on the computer....Yikes!!

9. Which talent would you most like to have?
I would love to be a great cook (see #8!)....but most of all I would like to love (or even like) to cook.  It's not my thing!

10. Greatest achievement? My greatest achievement is hopefully yet to come, but I suppose looking at life until now, I would consider my greatest achievement to be more of a gift I have received than something I have achieved.  I have been put in the position of being a connector and encourager to others in so many situations, and I am so grateful to have been given such an extraordinary opportunity over and over again. It blows me away sometimes...  God has truly blessed me with an amazing group of friends (and family), as well as some incredible experiences over the years.  It has been such a joy to bring people together and watch things take off!




2 comments:

  1. I love the Great Gatsby. It was my pick too for that question.

    Welcome to the Preppy Blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got my post! :) Love your answers!!! Coco Chanel is amazing! I've read the Great Gatsby a bunch of times and LOVE it. I also share in your favorite party theme, coming from the beach. In fact, I told my future mom in law that I'd love to have something more low key and casual for our rehearsal dinner, so we're getting everyone over to the house for a low country boil! :)
    I'm so excited!
    XOXO- Vy

    ReplyDelete